Hey Loves! F & J here!
The sun has been shining bright here in Seattle and the sun is rising earlier and despite the cold weather it’s starting to feel like spring! So when we felt like getting a little crafty in the kitchen we decided to make a lemon cupcake with a blueberry frosting. We did get a little creative and added our own little touches to the recipe and we were delighted when we finished and got to try them.We will definitely be making them again!
We will put the recipes down below so you can make them at home.
The Lemon Cupcake:
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup room temperature butter
- 2 room temperature eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Beat the sugar, butter, eggs, and lemon extract until it is all smooth and creamy
3. In a separate bowl mix the baking powder, flour, and salt
4. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ones
5. Fill cupcake liners with batter and bake for 15-20 minutes (you can stick a toothpick in a cupcake and if it comes out clean they’re done baking!)
Blueberry Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup Fresh Blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Milk (not always needed)
1. Put your fresh blueberries and water in a sauce pan and simmer on medium heat until the blueberries break down and most of the water is gone
2. Strain blueberries (pressing through with a spatula if needed)
3. Place in fridge and let cool completely
4. Mix powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla together
5. Add milk if the frosting is too thick, just be careful you don’t add any more than necessary so it doesn’t become too thin!
6. Add 3 tablespoons cooled blueberry sauce to the buttercream frosting
Make sure you let your cupcakes completely cool before adding frosting. We just cut the corner off a plastic ziploc bag to frost. And topped them off with a tiny wedge of fresh lemon.
We highly recommend you give them a try! We’d love to hear what you think so let us know in the comments below. Also let us know what other fun baking ideas you have that we can test out in our kitchen!
F & J